Monday, December 10, 2012

One Year Update

Things I have learned this year:

1. I vastly overestimated my awesomeness at being a stay at home mother. I have made major progress in this area in the past year, but home-made bread is still not being baked in my spotless and laundry-free kitchen, maybe next year.

2. Always wash your dishes the night before and do the above mentioned laundry on the daily. It just makes the day start better.

3. When your children are driving you crazy (and you are probably boring them out of their minds) take them outside. I am a much calmer mother outside and my children love dirt and water. It's really a win-win.

4. Smile at your spouse, it's easy to forget. Sit next to each other and even hold hands, even if it turns into everyone on the couch holding hands. I would rather be snuggling with my family then have Esme trying to eat stuff out of the First Aid kit.

5. Time away from the kids is good for you and for them. Esme loves our cat Skippy, her Papa Timmy and then me. I'm okay with that. I get her love almost everyday and Skippy gets too much of her love all of the time, so the time she gets to spend with her Papa Timmy is incredibly precious and she needs that. Phoebe treasures every moment not with me, just because it's something different and let's be honest...that kid loves people. I no longer feel guilty about time apart because I don't work away from them and we have seen more of Shambra this year than the last 4 years, because his schedule is much more flexible.

6. Don't make plans a year in advance because God will surprise you with things like moving 4 hours away or a BABY. Babies look at your calendar, laugh and then spit up on it.

7. Change is hard, but good. I miss all of my family and Anderson peeps, but Phoebe and Esme have grown so close to Shambra's family this year and it is wonderful to see them experience being part of a big family with tons of little ones so close in age.

That's it for now, but I'll try to be better about updating at least a few kidisms....like how Esme always begins any story with, "once upon a time". Oh and pumpkins are her favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment